MEL – CRIP CAMP: A DISABILITY REVOLUTION Screening
On behalf of Netflix we’re delighted to invite you and your guest to an industry screening of CRIP CAMP: A DISABILITY REVOLUTION.
When: Wednesday 20 January
Time: 6.30pm start
Location: The Backlot Studios, 165 Bank Street, South Melbourne
Parking: Free from 6:30pm, all other times it is paid 2 hour parking.
Synopsis: In the early 1970s, teenagers with disabilities faced a future shaped by isolation, discrimination and institutionalization. Camp Jened, a ramshackle camp “for the handicapped” in the Catskills, exploded those confines. Jened was their freewheeling Utopia, a place with summertime sports, smoking and makeout sessions awaiting everyone, and campers felt fulfilled as human beings. Their bonds endured as they migrated West to Berkeley, California — a promised land for a growing and diverse disability community — where friends from Camp Jened realized that disruption and unity might secure life-changing accessibility for millions.
Co-directed by Emmy®-winning filmmaker Nicole Newnham and film mixer and former camper Jim LeBrecht, this joyous and exuberant documentary arrives the same year as the 30th anniversary of the Americans with Disabilities Act, at a time when the country’s largest minority group still battles daily for the freedom to exist.
CRIP CAMP: A DISABILITY REVOLUTION is executive produced by President Barack Obama and Michelle Obama; Tonia Davis and Priya Swaminathan; Oscar® nominee Howard Gertler (How to Survive a Plague) and Raymond Lifchez, Jonathan Logan and Patty Quillin; LeBrecht, Newnham and Sara Bolder produce.
You can view the trailer here
Duration: 106 minutes
RSVP is essential to email@example.com. There will be limited seating to assist social distancing. Invitation is strictly non-transferable.
COVID protocols: This private screening will adhere to all government recommendations for Covid safety and will include some additional measures:
- As a condition of entry, we must keep a contact register for every screening. Contact details (mobile and email) must be supplied 24 hours in advance for anyone attending including these details for your guest.
- Hand sanitiser and face masks will be provided – all attendees must wear a face mask during the screening and when inside the complex foyer.
- You will be required to check-in via the QR code on arrival.
- You must not attend the screening if you are feeling unwell or have any symptoms.
- Contactless temperature checks upon entry. Anyone displaying any symptoms will not be admitted.
- You will be able to sit with your guest but social distancing will be employed in the cinema to ensure that you are at a safe distance from other attendees.
- If you develop symptoms or test positive to Covid19 following a screening, please call +61428727303 immediately or email firstname.lastname@example.org in order that we can advise all other guests.